There’s the beauty musts you pack in your luggage and then there are those essential carry-on items that need to be at your side at all times. So what do we suggest you tote along? It’s all about quality, not quantity (think dual-use) especially since we know space is at a premium. Plus the no-liquids-over-100ml is still in effect. Here’s what we can’t leave home without.
1. Lip & Body Salve. Airplanes have this effect of dehydrating the body and that includes your skin and lips. Our favourite product to cure both aliments is C.O. Bigelow’s Rose Salve, $6 which is super-moisturizing and isn’t greasy.
2. Facial Blotting Tissues. Oily skin alert! If you’re skin is on the oily-side, facial blotting tissues are a must 24/7. We’re fans of the Tea Tree Oil Facial Blotting Tissues from The Body Shop, $10. Like salicylic acid, tea tree oil is a natural antiseptic great for controlling oil without drying skin out. Plus the tissues can be used over makeup or on bare skin.
3. Cheek and Lip Stain. There’s not point in carrying a blush and lipstick on board. Instead get a dual purpose product. As we’ve mentioned before, we love Benefit’s Pocket Pal, but if you’d rather go for something with a darker stain, try Stila‘s Convertible Color. Our favourite bold shade is Poppy and is flattering on all complexions.
4. Dry Shampoo. After an overnight flight, there’s nothing worse than having a head of greasy locks. There’s always a hat, but if you want a quick freshen-up, a little dry shampoo will do the trick. We mentioned Oscar Blandi before, but yes it’s a great dry shampoo, plus they offer a mini travel version that has a fresh lemon-y scent, available at Sephora.
5. Facial Towelettes. Maybe your two-hour snooze pushed your mascara half down your face or suddenly you realize you’ve been wearing your makeup for 24 hours and feel like you need a clean palette. Whatever the case, it’s nice to have a few towelettes. Our latest favourite is the Yes to Cucumbers line, and they also carry a On-the-Go sized pack, perfect for travelling.
6. Vitamin Mix. Recycled air, free-floating germs, lack of sleep — somehow it makes sense why people get sick when they travel. Fight the battle before it even begins by upping your Vitamin C intake. A super easy way is by loading up on the cold-fighting vitamin. One of our favourite cures is Emergen-C which packs in 1,000mg of the good stuff in one little pack and comes in a variety of yummy flavours (we like raspberry).